Swimming pool paint for increasing hygiene, safety and durability
Given the hot and dry weather conditions in Qatar, a public pool is the place to be and a private pool a thing to have. Whether you have a residential pool or operate a public one, safety, hygiene and durability should be among the top priorities. Therefore, we will inform you about swimming pool paint and how your pool (and your business) can benefit from it.
The damp environment of a swimming pool provides a fertile platform for harmful legionella and other waterborne bacteria. Fortunately, this risk can be reduced by swimming pool paint which seals surfaces and provides a smooth finish to which contamination and microorganisms cannot attach. As well as their hygienic function, pool paints also create a durable protective layer which minimizes the need for maintenance and guarantees a safe visit to the pool. The following 4 words describe the benefits of swimming pool paint:
- Seamless: No sharp edges, cracks or seams which might cause injuries.
- Watertight: Swimming pool coating is waterproof. The pool therefore, will not be damaged by prolonged exposure to water.
- Attractive: Pool paint is available in many colours, finishes and textures.
- Hygienic: Due to the seamless structure of the coating, no contamination can attach to the surface.
Find the matching swimming pool paint for your pool type
Not every pool coating can be applied to any surface. For example, coatings that are especially suitable for porous substrates such as concrete are not suitable for baths made of fiberglass because of different requirements for adhesion. It is also important to define the expected looks of the finished pool: do you wish to protect the surface without changing its appearance, or is the purpose to give the pool a makeover while increasing safety and hygiene?
Whatever the case, here are some general guidelines to which coatings are suitable for your pool type and material.
Primer + Epoxy coating (indoor pools), Polyurea hot spray (commercial pools) or chlorinated rubber pool paint (private baths)
Almost all 2K coatings are suitable for tiles,but they need a good primer. Epoxy is the paint of choice when the pool’s looks must be retained because it is the only transparent option. However, it can crack as a result of temperature fluctuation and UV rays when applied to outdoor pools. It can also be opaque, but multiple layers are required for hiding the tile structure and seams. Chlorinated rubber is the cheapest, but it comes in a limited range of colors and lacks resistance to oils (like sunscreen), not for public outdoor pools.
1K epoxy paint (private pools), 2K epoxy coating and polyurea coating
Epoxy coating adheres well to Fiberglass and is extremely resistant to chemicals (chlorine and detergents). The con is that the application and curing of epoxy is a long process: 3-7 days depending on the layer thickness. Polyurea coating, however, is applied with high-pressure spray equipment and dries faster. For small fiberglass pools or local repairs, 1K epoxy paints are also available.
Stainless steel and aluminium baths
Anti corrosive acrylic polyurethane
For stainless steel and aluminum baths you should opt for an anti corrosive solution, or a rust-inhibiting primer. Always consult a specialist before choosing a swimming pool paint to prevent any issues related to adhesion or premature corrosion and further deterioration.
Primer + Polyurethane coating (commercial pools), chlorinated rubber pool paint (private baths) or epoxy coating (indoor pools)
A concrete pool almost always requires a primer; the top coat can be epoxy, chlorinated rubber, or polyurethane based. Epoxy pool paint is not recommended for new pools due to its lack of flexibility; new concrete may “live” requiring the coating to stretch with it. Polyurethane is more flexible and can better absorb small cracks. Chlorinated rubber systems provide a fully watertight swimming pool resistant to chlorine and algal growth. The con of chlorinated rubber is its poor resistance to oils (including sunscreen), so it is not recommended for public pools.
More than a swimming pool paint – other possibilities of pool coating
A high-quality swimming pool coating ensures that both the recreational swimmer and sauna visitor can safely enjoy the swimming pool and the area around it. In addition to actual swimming pools, other areas such as wellness facilities and saunas can also benefit from a watertight swimming pool paint which can also be made anti-slip to prevent injuries. Swimming pool paint makes pools durable and hygienic, and also does this for the areas around the pool. For example the following areas may benefit from pool paints.
- Changing rooms of spas and pools
- Walk-through rooms of saunas
- Joint shower rooms of gyms
- In and around water attractions (eg slides or children’s pools)
- Walk-in showers
- Saunas, steam baths, changing rooms and shower rooms in gyms
- Bungalow parks and campsites with swimming and/or wellness facilities
The build-up of swimming pool paint costs
Whatever type of pool coating you require, the costs are estimated based on several factors: these factors are also used by pool coating contractors to provide you with an accurate quote. Therefore, you should consider the following:
- The results of the inspection: Moisture in the subsoil, potholes and bumps, difficult to access spaces. The fewer pitfalls and obstacles there are, the lower the quotation price.
- Required preparation: Are there a lot of repair and equalisation works required in advance? Or a thorough cleaning? Or maybe a primer? These costs come on top of the coating.
- Application method: Is standard brush/roller application possible, or is high pressure spray more convenient? Will one coat do, or are more required? This all affects the price.
- Finishing wishes: Do you want a specific color or special effect? There is a lot possible in terms of finish, including details like the lane lines and markings in competition pools. Of course there is a price tag.
- Extra options: Often the coating is not only applied in the swimming pool, but also around it. Think of the foot baths, pool edges or shower rooms. Here you can opt for an anti-slip finish at an additional cost.
In case you require more information on swimming pool coating UAE, or are interested in receiving a competitive quote for your pool coating project, do not hesitate to contact us. Our coating experts are happy to help. In cooperation with our partners we can also provide you with a tailor-made quote. All you need to do is contact us by email or using the 100% free quote service by clicking on the request a quote -button at the bottom of the page.