Ceramic coating protects your car paint like no other solution
Trying to keep a car looking shop-new can be expensive, and end up feeling like hard work. All that washing, waxing, and love feels futile when a bird finds its target ten minutes after you are done. And it isn’t just the birds; UV radiation, chips, stains, dirt, swirl marks, all of these mean that the glossy newness of your coat starts to fade and wear, and your car is no longer the shiniest on the streets of Doha. But it could be – which is where ceramic coating comes in. Ceramic coating uses nanotechnology to provide a layer of protection over your vehicle’s paint work. The coating forms bonds with the substrate at the nanomolecular level, and will not wash away or break down like a wax. This protection keeps your car cleaner and shinier for longer like no other solution.
In this article we will describe the benefits of a ceramic or glass coating, how they are applied, and where you can find products and applicators in Qatar.
What is so special about ceramic coating
Glass coating, ceramic coating, liquid glass, nano ceramic coating, ceramic glass, car paint protection coating, is there a difference between all these products? Well, no, not really. All these terms are used to describe a nano coating based on silica/silicon dioxide (a key ingredient in glass). These nano coatings are hydrophobic, hard, heat and weather resistant, and this is what makes them so perfect for your vehicle. A ceramic coating makes your car paint more resilient, and easier to clean. This is because they:
- Are hydrophobic – They repel water, so water will bead on the surface and slide off. It is also more difficult for mud and grime to adhere to the surface, making washing easier and less frequent.
- Provide UV protection – When your vehicle is exposed to the sun, as is likely in Qatar, the paint will begin to oxidise and fade. A ceramic coating provides a barrier which protects from this effect.
- Enhance gloss – A nano ceramic coating coats your car in a slick, self-cleaning surface which makes your car glossy and shiny, like it just came out of the shop.
- Protect from chemical stains – Acidic fluids and salt will stain and etch a paint job (including bird droppings and dead bugs), but with a ceramic coating the hydrophobic property will prevent these destructive elements from affecting the paint.
Ceramic coating price and durability compared to other solutions
Ceramic and glass coatings are a relatively new solution for protecting car paint; despite the two terms, the difference between ceramic coating and glass coating is minimal: both are car paint protection coatings. They are slowly replacing the more traditional waxing and hard waxing, which is no wonder. In the table below you can see how nano ceramic coating compares to waxing and hard waxing in price and durability. The prices are merely indications and include application costs. Note that glass and ceramic coating for car cost range is wider than the one of more traditional paint protection methods.
|Car paint protection coating||Durability||Price from|
|Waxing||4-6 months||Rial 200.00|
|Hard waxing||up to a year||Rial 550.00|
|Ceramic coating||from 1 to 5 years depending on the product||Rial 1500.00|
The glass coating process – also at home?
Applying a ceramic coating is an intensive operation and, like any other automotive coating, requires an experienced and qualified professional to apply them. The process is delicate and hiring an authorised detailer will, for most people, mean a better and more effective coating application. There are, however, ceramic coating kits available which can be applied at home, if you wish to do so.
The success of applying nano ceramic coatings at home cannot be guaranteed due to the fact that the coatings require an absolutely clean and dust-free environment, which is a challenge for a home garage.
Like any coating application, the condition of the substrate is a key component. Before applying the coating, your car must be as clean and bare as possible; the coating will be easier to apply and work better the cleaner the car surface is to begin with. Though each individual product may have slightly different application requirements (and you should always follow the specific instructions), the basic procedure is as follows:
- After washing and buffing the car, wipe it down again with a low percentage (15%) IPA solution and a microfiber cloth, to make sure there is as little contaminants and oils as possible left on the car surface.
- Take the applicator pad/cloth and apply the coating in an X pattern across it. Only a very little of the coating will be needed.
- Using a circular or back and forth motion, wipe the coating onto a panel, applying to one panel at a time.
- After 5 minutes, check the application for irregularities or high points. If they are present, gently wipe over the surface with a microfibre cloth to smooth out the surface.
- Allow to cure. This step is especially important as this is when the nano coating forms crosslinks and becomes the protective coating you need.
Remember that, regardless the hype, no coating is permanent unless well maintained. A ceramic or glass coating will degrade if not looked after, and will need reapplication every year to five years depending on the coating.
Ceramic coating Qatar – application by a professional for the best results
If you take your vehicle into a shop for a professionally-applied ceramic coating, it will of course be more expensive than if you had applied it at home. You are paying for the work hours, but also the security of a trained and experienced professional. A coating would be an investment for the serious car lover. Where waxing is a quarterly expense, ceramic coating is a one-off. A professional ceramic detail can cost anywhere from Rial 1.500 up to Rial 8.000 depending on the number of coats and surface treatment required. There are trained professional applicators in Qatar, who use some of the following ceramic coating products available in Qatar:
|Ceramic coating product||Supplier in Qatar||Price (indication)|
|Window And Glass Ceramic Coating||Gold Label Detailing||Rial 83.00 (15 ml|)|
|9H Car Ceramic Coating Paint||Color N Drive||Rial 362.00 (50 ml)|
|High Gloss Nano Ceramic Car Coating Kit||Nano Technology||Rial97.00 (30 ml)|
|Nasiol ZR53 Car Ceramic Coating||Nasiol||Rial 279.00 (50 ml)|
|Carpro Cquartz||CarPro||Rial 295.00 (30 ml)|
If you are looking for information about a large scale project or industrial ceramic coating for cars, our experts are here to help. Just get in touch through the “Request a quote” button and we will help you find the right coating solution.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!