Waterproof and protect your property with liquid rubber coating
Liquid rubber coating has been on the market for years now, but recent technological advances have both improved and expanded the range of rubber coatings available. While traditionally liquid rubber has been applied as a waterproof roofing solution, there are now products which allow the excellent waterproofing qualities of rubber coating to be applied to a much broader range of substrates such as wooden decking.
Rubber coating is heat, chemical, weather, and impact resistant, as well as flexible. In this article we will take a look at the benefits and applications of liquid rubber coating products, as well as reveal where and how to find them in Qatar.
The 6 reasons to choose for rubber coatings
The reason for the continued success of liquid rubber coating is simple: in terms of waterproofing it outperforms the alternatives. This is why one of liquid rubber’s most important applications is flat roofing. The qualities that make liquid rubber coating the choice for waterproofing are:
- Well-adhering – Liquid rubber can be applied to concrete, stone, metal, bitumen, EPDM, wood, PVC, metals, and zinc. It adheres fully to the substrate whatever the material, sealing the substrate and keeping corrosive elements away.
- UV stable – The coating remains flexible for longer and does not chalk, embrittle, or lose strength as a result of exposure to UV radiation.
- Non-permeable– Rubber coatings create an impermeable barrier between the substrate and the environment. They can withstand ponding water for flat roofs, or be used in overspill containment. They are waterproof, vapour tight, air and gas barriers.
- Flexible – Liquid rubber has an elongation capability of up to 900%. It can flex and stretch with a substrate through heating and cooling from -40°C to 160°C without damaging, unlike other coatings such as bitumen which are far more brittle.
- Weather and chemical resistant – Rubber is chemically resistant to most corrosive chemicals, acids, alkalis, and solvents, both liquids and gases. Liquid rubber can protect a substrate from chemicals in tanks, as well as corrosive environments like factories or plants. The heat resistance, waterproofing, salt resistance, and UV stability mean liquid rubber is extremely weather-proof.
- Environmentally friendly – Water based and VOC free, these products will not harm you or the nature.
3 steps of liquid rubber coating application process
One of the great benefits of liquid rubber is the ease of application. There are only three basic steps to a liquid rubber application. Whether spray, brush, trowel, or roller, the coating will adhere to almost every surface – concrete, stone, bitumen, EPDM, wood, PVC, metals, foam, tile, and zinc.
Step 1: Surface preparation
A properly prepared substrate is paramount to the optimal application and performance of a coating. In the case of liquid rubber the substrate needs to be clean, dry, free from grease, dust, and other particles. Power washing the area is recommended. Cracks in the surface should be repaired beforehand for the best waterproofing result.
Poor surface preparation may result in failure of the coating system; adhesion is affected leading to preventing optimal performance.
Step 2: Coating application
Liquid rubber should not be applied in temperatures below 5°C, nor when rain is expected within 24 hours, so make sure to check the weather. The coating can be applied with a brush, trowel, roller, or spray, and is cold applied. The minimum layer thickness for a waterproof membrane is 2 mm. When painting, the average coverage is 1 L per m2, yielding a 1 mm thickness. The coating is not applied in one thick coat but rather built up through layering.
Always study the manufacturer’s instructions on application and obey them.
Step 3: Film curing
Once the liquid rubber is applied, it needs to cure. Though it is touch dry in only a few hours, it will take 48 to 72 hours for the coating to be fully cured and bonded to the substrate. After this point usual traffic and usage may resume.
Stick with the given curing times; too early traffic on the coated area may result in coating failure and have a great financial impact.
Looking for a supplier? Find a rubber coating company in Qatar
Rubber coating is available from suppliers in and around Qatar, for all projects big and small. There are contractors up and down the country who provide liquid rubber installation services for roofing, waterproofing, and any other project you may have. If you wish to buy rubber coating, or would like to be connected with one of our partners, get in touch! Our experts are happy to help, just make use of our free quote service to find the right coating solution or service for your project.
|Liquid rubber coating product||Price (RRP)||Substrates|
|Leak Seal||Rial116.83||Gutters, roofs, flashing, ductwork, PVC, masonry, concrete and more|
|Plasti Dip Gun Metal Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating||Rial68.00||Wood, metal, glass, rope, plastic, rubber, concrete, tools, etc.|
|RubberSeal Liquid Rubber||Rial79.00||Roof including RV Roof, Pools, Ponds, Foundations, Flooring, Planters, Marine, And more…|